Saturday, November 29, 2008

Black Friday Nightmares

As the holidays come closer, people begin to do their annual holiday shopping. I never really had this problem considering I don't have a job to make money and buy things for family so I just make things with stuff I already have (it's the thought that counts!). Also, my family celebrates Eid and sometimes it can be near the holiday season and sometimes it will be after. In my family, we're not really into the whole giving presents things because we already do that at random times anyways and a lot of times as our presents, its usually $. haha so we normally don't go out buying plasma screen TVs and all that other stuff when we already have something like it and don't need it or unless we're buying presents for high school teachers to enjoy the holiday season (not TVs, small presents haha). 

Now before I keep talking about my family, I'll move on to my point in all of this: Black Friday. I, for one, never go Black Friday shopping because 1. nobody will ever drive me to my store of interest, and 2. the deals aren't that awesome because you'll still end up paying a lot of money, but with $20 off of it. It's honestly not something I grew up with or knew about until about like a year or two ago. Anyways, on black Friday, I was eating dinner with my family and thinking about how crazy people are for getting up at 3am in the morning to go shopping (yippy!) when some of the stores have the deal online as well or last the entire day. Now, coming to my point, I read an article yesterday about how a man working at Wal-Mart died from Black Friday. Apparently, he was opening the doors to a Wal-Mart in Valley Stream, New York only to be trampled by hundreds of shoppers and eventually dying. When the police told everyone to get out of area, people were yelling and getting annoyed saying that they've been waiting to shop since the morning.

Is this what Black Friday has come to? People need to shove, trample, and kill others in order to save 20% on a plasma screen TV? It annoys me that what once was a way for people to spend money for "good" deals and shop with their friends has resulted in this crazed mania and savageness. Everyone involved in stampeding over this poor man and not even trying to help him should face severe punishments once the surveillance camera with evidence comes out. What they did was rude and selfless and they should be ashamed of themselves of the way they acted. I hope when they're giving their holiday gifts to their friends and family they tell them who they had to kill and abuse to get the presents for them. I'm sure everyone will be thrilled of what people go through to get fun material items for their families. I just hope that one day, the time for giving and caring for your family will reemerge soon and everyone will realize what the true meaning of the holiday season  is with or without material objects, but having the people who love and care for you to be with you. My condolences go out to the man who died this tragic way and I hope happiness can be restored.

I hope everyone has a safe and fun holiday season and learns the true meaning of spending time with family and friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Last year someone also died at a store while opening the doors; he had to pull them in to open them, and got trapped behind the door. The force of the people pinned him against the railing behind him; it broke 3 of his vertebrae, killing him.

It is pathetic to see what we've turned consumerism into- what we're turning ourselves into.